Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Feliz Cinco de Mayo ;)

If you don't already know, Cinco de Mayo commemorates a Mexican victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla, which took place on May 5, 1862. Today, instead of hanging up my Cinco de Mayo banner or doing a few moves to the sounds of miriachi - I'll leave the partying to designers, Marvin Duran and Quetzal Rangel  & possibly dream about Chipotle [the usual].


Marvin and Quetzal are two friends who met during a party in 2004 while eye-loving on each other's 'fits. Love at first sight? These two make me a believer. Sometime after their meet and greet the duo launched their line Marvin y Quetzal which appears to be highly influenced by Japanese culture just as much as their own.

Today is the first time I've heard of these two and it didn't take long for me to fall in love with their collections. Usually I'm enticed by shapes but this time around its the art of it all that intrigues me. Unfortunately due to the passing of Quetzal Rangel, Marvin y Quetzal's SS 09 collection is their last.  




[this wooden wedge is problematic.]

-xx

No comments: