Tuesday, April 20, 2010

He Say - She Say | Oprah Winfrey


"With every choice, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice."

"I believe luck is preparation meeting opportunity. If you hadn't been prepared when the opportunity came along you wouldn't have been lucky."

These two quotes are a representation of my life in this very second, minute and hour. I'm embarking on a new journey and this is only so because I've sketched and painted, with my beliefs and determination, a picture to exemplify my future. I would't quite call it a masterpiece but it definitely has potential. 

I've tried my hand at this painting many times before and set it aside on several occasions because I felt ill-equipped. As I've grown and looked back, I've realized that wasn't the case at all. The tools, I had, it was the basic understanding of my own skills and potential that I lacked. ..In other words, I needed to believe that I could do it before I actually made an attempt.

I like to think that life is comparable to the developmental stages of art. You start out scribbling your dreams, until one day you truly realize what they mean to you - being a nurse was just a thought but now you actually see yourself in uniform, aiding others [this would be the symbolic/pictorial stage]. As you grow, you may want the same thing as you did when you were younger but this isn't always so. I dreamed of being a model but later concluded that I simply liked fashion and creating a look, I wasn't necessarily into selling it. In art, this would be called Figure Variations. You experiment with various ways of drawing a figure and may depict the figure quite differently each time you draw. Each time I mentally sketched, the same picture was produced but it always had a different meaning. 

In the beginning, I spoke about lacking the basic understanding of my own skills and potential. Well, this is where Art and Self Image as well as Spatial Concepts come into play. We all have insecurities, me especially, but there's no space for insecurities when you have a burning passion to be great. I believed in myself until it was time to showcase my talent and that's the worst time to lose faith.You must take your idea/palette of beauty and splash those colors on your image's canvas. If you don't paint a satisfying image of yourself, people will be more than happy to do it for you. & that's never OK. Embracing the world around you helps you to see that everyone is unique. I believe we were all born with a paint brush in our hands, therefore we choose how bright we shine. If your work of art exudes beauty and intelligence and you carry it as if its a million bucks, people will treat it as such. 

"...thought by thought, choice by choice"

-xx


No comments: