Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dear Diary | Gratitude.

Who does not thank for little will not thank for much.  
~Estonian Proverb

I woke up this morning and was reminded of a few errands that I have to make through out the day so, naturally, I checked my account just to see how things were flowing. & even more so because I found a really cute pair of shoes online last night [sale!!] that I haaad to have. I knew, prior to buying them, what was in my account so as far as I was concerned there was no need for FEMA [nothing to see here, ppl!]. 
Checking out was a breeze. & I slept very well.
But I didn't wake up feeling as great.  

*automated operator* 
"Your account balance today is...a helluva lot less than you expected"

 -_- Not even a little bit impressed. 
I found myself really bent out of shape over this. 
& then I saw this video. 


Now, grant it. It's not what I'd hoped to hear. & I'd like to blame Sephora for playing with my emotions and not taking out their money ASAP but I won't. Why? because at the end of it all, I'm not dead broke and naked. I have a home with food and am privileged enough to go out and buy my own food if I want. I still have a beautiful pair of shoes to look forward to, not to mention the many pairs that I already own. 
Asides from that, I am healthy. I sleep in a bed. I can read. I can write. I'm blogging.

There are kids in Africa sorting through dirt and waste, collecting scrap metal and food to survive. They do this for 10 hours a day and receive less than a lb which is less than 2 USDs. & many of them can't do this without being raped or murdered. & I have nerve to pout. 
It's horrifying to know that people really have to live like that. & even more horrifying that many of us neglect the fact that we are blessed beyond measure.

"Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don't unravel."
[note to self]
-xx

No comments: