Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Now Playing | Tokyo Dee - Hip Hop Saved My Life

 It's common to lose touch with some of our favorite tunes when new music's being handed to us daily. But like two old friends, a reunion of song and audience is no different. When you love a song, you build a relationship w. the lyrics, the melody. You're either at a happy place in your life or you're somewhere that isn't so great - but either way, no matter how much time passes,  this song will always remind you of that particular point and period.

I'm not reminded of anything too personal when I hear this track. However, I am able to paint a very vivid picture due to it's lyrics and the fact that I actually know the rapper. Tokyo Dee and I both attended St. John's University in Jamaica, Queens. He's one of a few friends that I haven't seen in a while, so it was great to meet up with him again via SUGA [my ipod]. As I was cleaning my room last night, SUGA shuffled tracks with hopes of getting me into the groove. & after about 6 jams in, "Hip Hop Saved My Life" started blaring through my speakers. I have a few faves from his mixtape The Rise of Tokyo Dee Vol. 1 but I think this one trumps them all.

...Press Play.


-xx

No comments: